Wacky Women Wipe Out Ovarian Cancer
20/09/13 10:12 Filed in: Events
Wonderful Wacky Women Are “Making Waves” To Wipe Out Ovarian CancerBy: Kelly Woodard
“Wacky Women” and the “Mighty Men” who love them are standing up to cancer by hitting the pavement at the 5th Annual Redneck Riviera Chapter of Wonderful Wacky Women’s ‘Making Waves to Wipe Out Ovarian Cancer’ Run/Walk on Saturday, September 28th, 9:15 am, at the world famous Flora-Bama Lounge.
Presenting sponsors include: Perdido Key Chamber of Commerce, WEAR ABC 3, Wind Creek Casino & Hotel, Sunny 105.7, Suzy Toronto Studios, the Flora-Bama. The event is hosted by the Redneck Riviera Chapter of the Wonderful Wacky Women, a local charitable organization founded on the concept of “women who rise above all obstacles to turn tragedy into triumph, and who answer the call to make a difference in the world”. The race will consist of a 4 mile walk/run and 1 mile fun walk to raise awareness and research funding for ovarian cancer.
Jimmie Sue Walters, WWW Director/Founder and cancer survivor, believes that bringing awareness to this “silent killer” is imperative to saving women’s lives. Walter’s said, “Early detection is vital, and many women don’t have any symptoms or simply ignore the signs until it is too late. Our goal is to provide education on warning signs, support to those who are already struggling with this disease, and raise as much money as possible to fund research for a cure.”
Walters said of her work with the “Wacky Women” over the past five years, “I just feel like God has led me to this cause for a reason, and continues to put people in my life to keep us on the right path. The Wacky Women started out supporting cancer as a whole, but after our title sponsor author Suzy Toronto lost her best friend to ovarian cancer in 1993, our board decided to do something special in her memory by going in that direction. Our overall race each year is ‘In Tribute to her, Candy Swanson’. When we started getting calls from local survivors, our sisterhood began. We work endless hours to make this event happen. We are all connected, and that’s what keeps us going.”
Toronto, whose books were the inspiration for Walters’s vision for the Wacky Women has become more than just a friend of the Wacky Women. Walter’s said, “Suzy showed up for our first event and fell in love with not only the area but the love this community had for one another.” Toronto has been closely involved with the Wacky Women ever since, taking time out of her busy schedule to accompany Walters on her crusade against cancer. This year, she will serve as an honorary guest throughout the week and at the run.
Walter’s says she is amazed by the outpouring of support the organization has received. “The ovarian cancer ribbon is teal, and Designed By You in Orange Beach has created a special teal Swarovski crystal bracelet to benefit the event. Each bracelet is $90, and Designed By You will donate $40 of each bracelet sold to our cause.” For more information or to purchase your bracelet now, visit www.designfinejewelry.com or call 251-269-9327.
The event will be kicked off with the Wonderful Wacky Women Week:
- Monday, September 23rd with dinner at the Villagio Grill at the Wharf at 6:30 pm. This Mediterranean/Italian fusion favorite will serve a menu of fresh ingredients that will delight even the pickiest of palates. For reservations, please call 850-535-1975.
- Tuesday, September 24th at 8 am: Be sure to catch Walters, honorary guest author Suzy Toronto, and Vice-President, Gail Rappa, on Fox’s Studio 10 with hosts Cherish Lombard and Joe Emer speaking about the organization and their upcoming events for the week.
- Wednesday, September 25th, the Wacky Women will host a beach party and luau at Palacio Condominiums, the hub location for all Wacky Women on the Redneck Riviera, beginning at 10 am. As the sun goes down the fun keeps on going as they move the party to the Flora-Bama at 6:30 pm for the Wacky Hat Contest where wackier is always better. Prizes will be awarded to the craziest and most creative hats so don’t miss it.
- On Thursday, September 26th, the Wacky Women will set sail on a “Making Waves” Dolphin Cruise at 10 am from Tacky Jack’s in Orange Beach. The cruise only holds 45 people, so make sure to reserve your spot early for this one of a kind adventure. For more information, call 850-525-1975 or visit www.chuteskyeparasail.com.
- Later, the Wacky Women will be set up at Running Wild, located at 3012 E. Cervantes St. in Pensacola from 5-6:30 pm for race registration and packet pick-up.
- At 6 pm, SanRoc Cay, located at 27267 Perdido Beach Blvd. in Orange Beach, will host the Wonderful Wacky Women Welcome Party. This outside event will feature live music from the Smokin Elvis’s (aka Elaine Petty and Rhonda Hart).
- Friday, September 27th, hop on the bus and head over to LuLu’s Homeport for lunch at 10:30 am. Confirm your seat on the bus and lunch reservations with Jimmie Sue Walters at 850-525-1975. Later that day, runners can pick up their race packets at the Flora-Bama tent area from 5-6:30 pm.
- Saturday, September 28th, the big event gets kicked off at 9:15 am, with a Jazzercise Warm-Up followed by a group photo at 9:25 am. The Opening Ceremony begins at 9:30 am. This year’s Making Waves will be in honor of the Wacky Women’s special friend Terry Ivey and In Loving Memory of Sarah Kelly and Wayne Cavalier who both lost their battles with cancer earlier this year. A special motorcycle procession will close the ceremony in celebration of Wayne Cavalier.
PARTY LIKE THERE’S NO MORE CANCER
After the race, stick around for the “Party Like There’s No More Cancer” celebration where participants and spectators alike can participate in a silent auction consisting of great items donated by local business like gift certificates, massages, and weekend vacations, as well as a raffle, great food and drinks, and live entertainment by local favorites Elaine Petty and Rhonda Hart. Race participants will also enjoy Mike Martin’s famous Caribbean Chili as a special thank you.
Awards will be given to the top finishers in the 4 mile run/walk category as well as the 1 mile fun walk. Please be aware that all participants in the 1 mile fun walk category must walk at all times or they will be disqualified. Prizes will also be awarded to the largest team, most spirited team, and the most creative costumes.
Registration fees are $100 per person with 100% of race registration going to the cause. Teams of 5 can register for just $400, and Active Military and Families are just $25. Kids 13 to 18 years of age are just $25. Ovarian cancer Survivors can register for $25 and will receive a special ribbon to be worn throughout the day in honor of their survival.
To donate to the “Making Waves to Wipe Out Ovarian Cancer” fund, make checks payable to The Sacred Sisterhood of Wonderful Wacky Women, Redneck Riviera Chapter, INC., 14054 Waterview Drive, Pensacola, FL 32507 or call Jimmie Sue Walters at 850-525-1975.
Like the Wacky Women on Facebook-Redneck Riviera Chapter of Wonderful Wacky Women or visit them on the web at www.rrwww.org.
“Make Waves- So be the change the world needs…Set the new standard. Make a difference whenever and wherever you can. And go ahead…Make some waves!” – Suzy Toronto, www.suzytoronto.com
Join the Wacky Women, WEAR ABC 3 and Live Broadcasting from Sunny 105.7, and don’t miss your chance to ‘make waves’ in the community for a good cause!